Life can create a series of blows to our character and spirit. We encounter many issues on the journey. Some of which can be devastating to our inner person. We experience loss, grief, rejection, and many other negative responses. These seemingly earth shattering events can take us out; if we allow it.
There are things that we can do to overcome the despair. The following suggestions can be used to move and grow through the disappointment.
1. Have awareness- We should be in tuned with ourselves and our emotions. We must take full ownership of them.
2. Process properly-Processing our emotions should be done in stages.
- We should allow ourselves to grieve, feel hurt, feel displaced, feel rejected, etc. We must be honest with ourselves about our true feelings. However, we shouldn’t remain in that place.
- Be objective while participating in self assessment. We should give ourselves a hard and honest talk but shouldn’t embrace the “woe is me” approach. Now is not the time to have a pity party.
- Embrace optimism and positivity with passion and purpose.
3. Deposit- Despite what we feel we have lost or don’t receive, we should sow into the lives of others.
- Pray for ourselves. Pray that God remove resentment and bitterness from our spirit.
- Pray for those that have hurt us with the love of Christ. It is especially helpful to pray at the onset of a disappointment to keep bitterness from setting in.
- Don’t expect reciprocation. This may prove a very difficult principle. However, by learning to give without expecting anything in return we can love freely without conditions. Thus, enlarging our investment in love and joy.
- Give of ourselves with joy. When our spirits get low we should immerse ourselves in God’s word, which will produce his love and positivity within us. This will also silence the lies that Satan can plant in our spirit.
Disappointment can prove to be uncomfortable. If we choose to use God’s tools and fight through with determination we’ll see the bright side of life. We will also be the better for it.